Fall Ball 2017 Registration is Open!
Santa Barbara Pony League, in partnership with Coastal Cubs & The Grizzlies, is excited to announce the formation of Santa Barbara Pony Fall Instructional League players of league-age 13. This fall, 2017 season marks the second year of a new program utilizing the larger field (56′ mound, 80′ bases), expert instruction, and eager ball players. The program will feature the best of recreational and travel baseball, with a rec division that’s open to all age-appropriate players, from which will be selected a pool of interested travel-ball players.
- Open to “League-age” 13-14 year olds 2017 Age Key
- Maximum of 35 players
- One 90-120 minute practice during the week with all players
- Comprehensive practice plan
- Saturday game rosters will be set weekly with different players on different teams to keep teams competitive.
- A 12 man roster may be selected from this pool of players to represent the “Club” portion of the program (Grizzlies) for tournaments, at a different price point.
Program will run from the first week of September thru the week before Thanksgiving.
Who are the coaches?
- Tom Myers:
- Current Area Scout for the Chicago Cubs
- (Central Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Hawaii 2011-Present)
- Owner and President Santa Barbara Grizzlies Baseball Group Inc.
- Former Assistant Coach UCSB 1998-2001/2005-2011
- Former Assistant Coach Santa Clara 2002-2004
- Head Coach Brewster Whitecaps Cape Cod League 2009-2011
- Head Coach Kenai Oilers Alaskan League 2008
- Pitching Coach Santa Barbara Foresters 2007
- Minor League Player Oakland A’s, Baltimore Orioles, St Louis Cardinals 1991-1996
- Player Coach Haarlem Holland Dutch Professional League 1997
- Played and Graduated UCSB 1991
- Played U Arizona 1990
- Played at San Jose City College 1988-1989
- Graduate of Archbishop Mitty HS 1997
- BA History UCSB 1993
- Master’s Degree in Education Azusa Pacific 2001
Are there tryouts?
- No. The division is open to all age-appropriate players until it’s full.
Where will we practice?
- In Santa Barbara, most likely at Mackenzie Park.
How often are practices?
- Once a week
Where will we play?
- Rec games at Mackenzie Park. Travel games either at Mackenzie or within a reasonable driving distance of Santa Barbara
How often will we play?
- One practice and one game a week
How many teams will there be?
- Up to two rec-league teams and one travel team, drawn from rec-league players.
What do our fees pay for?
- Uniforms, field rental, insurance
Is this still part of Santa Barbara Pony?
Will I have to work the snack shack? (here’s a great opportunity for us to get parent involvement)
- Probably once during the season.
How can I help?
- Email us – we’ll find the best place for you to help.
My kid isn’t quite sure, should we sign up anyway?
- Absolutely. Every year kids are excluded when we reach capacity.
When does registration open?
- Early August, 2017.